I know you’re out there. You are addicted to anything about France and your friends and family just roll their eyes every time you say you’re going back. I’m thinking I should start a secret society and the only people who can join are those who love France as much as I do. They LOVE, LOVE, LOVE France and also keep going back. So how would a person qualify? See how you would by answering these questions. Discover how addicted you might be and get some ideas for bringing more of “France” into your life!
1. July 14:
Do you celebrate July 14, La Fête National, better known to English-speaking countries as “Bastille Day”? Every July 14 the French commemorate the storming of the Bastille and there are parades and street parties throughout France. Check out my post The French Revolution and July 14 In Paris to learn more about the excitement.
Guess what? I was born on July 14.
Coincidence? I think not.
Do you have souvenirs from France that are scattered throughout your home and are now part of the decor? Take for example:
- French flag
- Baguette knife
- Pictures of France
- French wine in your wine rack
- Eiffel towers
- Do you speak French or try to speak French when you are in France?
- When you return home do you still speak French or “think” in French?
- Do you know how to conjugate your verbs?
Do you wear a scarf even when it’s warm out? Is black your favourite colour of clothing? Do you know the names of a few French fashion designers?
5. Number Of Times To France
How many times have you been to France? More than twice? More than five times? Ten times? 20 times? Hmmmm…..I think more than 10 times qualifies.
6. The Arts:
- Do you listen to French music? Do you watch French films?
- Have you seen all of Francois Truffaut’s movies such as “400 Blows” or “La Nuit Americane” (Day For Night)? Or seen other classic French films with French actors and actresses such as Jeanne Moreau (“Jules et Jim”), Catherine Deneuve (“Les Parapluies de Cherbourg” –Umbrellas of Cherbourg), or Audrey Tautou (Amélie)? Are you up to date on your French movies?
- Have you read all the books written about France (fiction and non-fiction) including, “A Year In Provence” by Peter Mayle, “100 Places In France Every Woman Should Go” by Marcia DeSanctis and “Sweet Life In Paris”by David Leibovitz?
Do you only prefer to drink French wine? Do you love French cheese?
Bonus Question: Do you say “macaroon” or “macaron”? [see explanation below]
What is the first thing you should do when you enter a store? [Answer below]
Can you easily recognize most, if not all of the major monuments in Paris, or even in France? Do you know where this place, picture above, is? [Answer below]
10. Charles de Gaulle Airport
Do you know the airport code for Charles de Gaulle airport in France without checking? [Answer below]
11. Are you already planning your next trip to France?
If you answered YES to most of these, maybe your are addicted to France like me! Contact me and let’s start a Frenchcentric Society! If you answered NO to most of these, you’ve got work to do, but there’s still hope!
Answer # 7: a macaroon is a coconut cookie. It is not the French macaron which is made with ground almonds, egg whites, and sugar.
Answer # 8: “Bonjour”
Answer # 9: Les Baux
Answer #10: CDG